COGENT employee ENGAGEMENT SCORES
What it’s really like to work for Cogent.
Here at Cogent, we have a bottom line that isn’t just about dollars. People come first, always.
So, for over five years now, we’ve been using Culture Amp’s Engagement Survey tool. We run the survey every six months to get deeper insights into our culture, and create clear actions for areas we can improve in. Using the same questions in the same tool each time helps us more easily see favourable or not-so-favourable trends.
Through the survey, we measure our progress against “people engagement”, our values and broad set of other standard Culture Amp factors which help us understand our culture better. We also use Culture Amp’s benchmarks to see how we stack up to our peers within Australia and globally. Typically, we aim to be in the top 10% globally for similar companies, and we’ve largely been able to achieve that over the last four of five years. We use Culture Amp’s New Tech as a benchmark because we believe these companies are most culturally similar and have some of the highest engagement levels of any industries globally. We’re holding ourselves to the highest account we can.
Transparency is a core value at Cogent (see more on our our transparent salaries model here). Every time the survey is run, the results are shared with all Cogent employees, and anyone can dive deeper into answers if they wish. We’ve never shared them publicly before, but it feels like a natural progression for us.
So why not take a look at how we measure up? We’ve laid it all out below.
The most recent Staff Engagement Scores shown here are from our latest survey in February 2021. Staff surveys are distributed every six months, and our next survey will go out in late August 2021.
How we're tracking overall
We use this as an overall measure of how engaged staff are in general. For the last five years our overall staff engagement score has been in or around the Top 10% of New Tech companies worldwide. This score is made up of numerous key areas, a few of which we’ve dived into in the sections below.
What we're doing well
The evolution of our people
If you’re keeping up, you might remember that in August 2020 we set a goal to improve our L&D score. It was the only area which scored below the Top 10% of Tech (but above the New Tech average score). We made this a focus as part of our Strategic Priorities, and assigned a team to work on solving it.
We’re pleased to report that this area saw the biggest positive shift from the last survey. We’ve moved 17 percentage points up and 11 points ahead of our chosen benchmark.
Values-driven, through and through
Our values are what define us as an organisation. They shape the decisions we make every day, both large and small. They inform who we hire, the clients we work with, our strategy and our operations.
To get this score, staff rate their responses to the statement ‘Cogent values are extremely important to me’. It’s no surprise that the people who work with us have rated their alignment with our values within the Top 10% of our global and local peers.
Leadership by example
We’re people first, and the focus of our People Managers is caring for the teams they look after.
To get this score, staff rate their responses to statements like ‘my manager is a great role model for employees’ and ‘my manager genuinely cares about my wellbeing’. Since 2017, our scores in this area have been at 90% or above.
What we're working on improving
Given the Victorian lockdowns over the past 6 months, no-one at Cogent works from the office on a full-time basis, and the impact of remote work on our Work/Life Balance score is something we’re keeping a close eye on. At the time of the survey 65% of our staff worked mostly remotely, the other 35% working fully remotely.
We found that team members who describe their current balance as “mostly remote” are more engaged than those who described themselves as “fully remote”. It’s worth noting that even the less engaged group (“fully remote”) have an engagement 83% overall, which is high by most standards but still presents an opportunity for focus.
As an organisation that has historically placed value in working (literally) side-by-side with each other and our customers, we naturally have some evolving to do. Remote work is our new normal, so we’ve given extra focus to making sure our remote team are supported and connected. You can read more about our plans for action in this area here.
Our scores have been benchmarked with average scores for New Tech Australia
For full transparency, we’ve also included our most recent scores snapshot across all factors, beyond engagement for permanent staff at Cogent. This shows how we are tracking against the average of all companies in the global New Tech index. A full explanation of what each of these factors means can be found at Culture Amp here.
This outlines our engagement score, along with all focus areas that combine to give us an overall score.